Last weekend I found this awesome dresser at a garale sale (shocker, I know). So for $20 I loaded this and a small sized rolley chair into the back of the vehicle & brought that less then beautiful item home. Tuck likes to craft and color, and this desk is the perfect size for a kid! It just needed a bit of paint & love.
I had some leftover Annie Sloane Chalk Paint from a chair project I had done last year and figured it would be the perfect color to offset the more muted tones in the basement. The color is Provence and my favorite of Annie Sloane’s Chalk Paint line. With chalk paint you don’t have to do any prep to the item you are going to paint, but I opted to give the whole desk a light sanding just to be on the safe side. I ended up doing 3 coats of paint on the exterior and drawer fronts. Once the paint was dried I gave it a light sand and then 2 coats of Verithane to finish it off.
I spray painted the handles in a Matte Oil Rubbed Bronze finish. After a lot of staring at the drawers and thinking that the whole thing looked a little blah I got all crazy and decided to Mod Podge maps to the drawer fronts. Cray cray, I know.
It is definitely not a process you want to rush through so give yourself some time if you’re tackling a project. Using a sponge brush I applied the mod podge to the drawer front fairly thickly. Place the map on top and using a clean edged putty knife (or something similar) drag it along the map to smooth it out & get rid of any air bubbles. Once you’ve smoothed it out, take a block sander (I used an 80 grit) and gently sand the edges of the drawer. This will take the excess map off the edge and leave a nice and even edge.
I applied 2 coats of mod podge on top of the map and then once dried 2 coats of Verithane. Make sure that when you are doing this you do the edges aswell to really seal the map down. Once everything was dried I put the handles back in place and the drawers were ready for the desk!
Not to point out the obvious, but when you are applying your map, make sure it’s the right side up….let me know if you figure out how I know this! The best part of the whole project though was seeing Tucker’s excitement once it was done and ready to be used! Let the crafting begin!